Friday Follies, Art Journaling and CTMH Trunk Show

What a weekend it was! So very busy and extremely FUN. I'll have to be short today due to a couple hot projects I'm working on this morning, but I thought I'd share a quick recap.

Friday was "Friday Follies" - my monthly group of ladies who come to learn how to create various projects. This month we made the four cards with Graphic 45's Typography papers which I featured on my blog last week at this post. We meet at 9 a.m. and everyone finished by 1:00 this time. (Sometimes we're at it all day!) Then it was back to work on some Graphic 45 projects I'm designing.



Saturday was a trip with my pal Sherry to St. Petersburg, FL to the wonderful Whim-so-doodle store for an art journaling class with Dina Wakley (new Signature Designer for Ranger). I had Sherry take this photo to show the difference in our Ranger aprons. Dina's, of course, shows how often she paints.



I don't pay to take classes very often, but Art Journaling is one of those things that intimidates me. The looseness, the unplanned, it just sends me into a tiny panic at first. Then when I let go and just start something, I am so completely involved and in love with the process. It's really quite freeing for a control-freak such as myself. I was delighted to learn many tips and tricks from Dina in composing my page. First rule: DON'T THINK, and that white space is a magical thing. These are my pages in progress above.



Final touch: adding the words. I stamped the phrase "Don't Over-Think" onto tissue paper with archival inks, then tore around it and collaged it onto the page. Genius! If I hadn't learned this simple trick, I would have tried to stamp right on the page and risked messing up. 


If you're planning to visit Florida and have the opportunity to go to the west coast (I live on the east coast) you've got to take the time to pop into Whim-so-doodle. You'll thank me later, trust me. It is the dream scrapbooking store, but I hate to call it that because it's SO much more. Mixed media takes up a large portion of the shop, and the classroom alone is beyond impressive. Sewing classes, mixed media workshops, you name it, they've covered it all. They have every single Tim Holtz/Ranger product you'd ever want, and carry top names in paper collections including of course the wonderful Graphic 45. They have an excellent rapport with the big name designers who come to teach like Dina Wakley, Tim Holtz, Paula Cheney and Dyan Reaveley to name just a few; and the staff is delightful.


Then it was on to Sunday and my Close To My Heart 2014 Spring/Summer Idea Book "Trunk Show." I thought it would be fun to do something a little different than my traditional open houses I've done in the past. Unfortunately, I took not a single photo of any of it! However, if you'll use your imagination and picture a setting much like a home gathering and me standing at the front of the room with vintage suitcases filled new product. As we walked through the Idea Book together, everyone comfortably seated with homemade cake pops, fresh fruit, wine and cheese before them, I passed around samples for each to touch and see up-close. Then everyone was invited to shop my clearance sale and do a make-n-take project, then place orders at their leisure. It was a big success and a fun afternoon for all.


Tomorrow, I'll share samples from my Trunk Show that will help introduce you to all the new paper collections and lots of the new embellishments and other products in this season's Idea Book.


And I haven't forgotten about sharing my craft room organization part 2. Watch for that later this week.


Thanks for stopping in and have a happy Monday!

Comments

  1. Oh Annette, what a beautiful page for a first try. I'm sort of like you, being afraid to just let go and have fun. For a first page you did amazing work! You go girl!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Annette, what a beautiful page for a first try. I'm sort of like you, being afraid to just let go and have fun. For a first page you did amazing work! You go girl!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your art journaling! So fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your art journal pages! Wish I could have been there on Sat to meet you. Someday.....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your journal page is gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME pages!! I really wanted to attend that class and meet Dina, but my work schedule just wouldn't allow it. It's only about a 2 hour drive to St Pete and I haven't been to Whim So Doodle in years, which I truly miss. I'm definitely going to have to rectify that situation.....THANK YOU for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Those colours are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous art journalling - it looks like a great class. Only wish I could visit WhimSoDoodle - it sounds amazing!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun. Your pages are beautiful! Wish I were there doing them with you. Love Love Love

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com