Creative Carte Blanche August Theme - Sun, Moon and/or Stars

Hi everyone. I'm here today with a fun art journal spread for the Creative Carte Blanche August theme of "Sun, Moon and/or Stars." Yvonne Blair has chosen this month's creative adventure. You can check out Candy Colwell's amazing card for this challenge, as well as the rest of the CCB team on the blog throughout the month. Meanwhile, why not join us by uploading your project to the main challenge post here.

I used my 4" x 8" Inky Art Journal from Yvonne Blair Designs and utilized several Distress techniques I've been exploring the past week. I tried some products I've never used before, and "attempted" some effects, and well..., here's a closer look at how it all came together...


I began with a starry stencil and some Crackle Texture Paste. (first time using both) The stencil is from Studio R12.


I can't believe I've never used Crackle Texture Paste before now. This stuff is cool!


After the crackle had dried, I sprayed my pages with a few mists of water, then several colors of Distress Stains. Then a few more spritzes of water to get the colors flowing.


I rubbed some Distress Inks with a mini blending tool to brighten up areas, then dribbled some water blobs onto the pages and immediately pressed them with a paper towel to lift away the color.


This effects leaves ghosted splotches, which appear even more bright once dried with the heat tool.


After the pages were dry, I spritzed a few times with Ranger's new Mica Spray (silver).


I wanted to add some fireflies to my background, but all I had was a bee stamp. It would have to do. So I stamped several of them randomly on my pages with Archival Black ink. I attempted to achieve a glowing light by first coloring in with Picket Fence Distress Crayon and smudging it. It sort of did the trick, but too matte and not glowy enough. So I touched my finger into some White Pearl Paint and swirled it on. Better, but still not feeling that "glow" effect I was after. Finally, I took my Picket Fence Distress Marker and outlined the area, knowing that this marker gives a soft ghosted look as it dries. Close enough for me.


I stamped my sentiment with Archival Black ink and heat set it, then drew in my drop shadows with a Gelly Roll white pen. 


I added a touch of the same White Pearl Paint over the stars. This really made them pop.


Here you can see the Mica Spray in the background. It gives a nice effect.

I felt that this was a good place to stop. (For now.) I like the message and decided to let the background be the main focus. It may stay this way forever, or I may add things at a later time. Who knows?


Thanks for stopping in today. I hope this inspires you to try new products or techniques, or both. Come join us at Creative Carte Blanche with your creation. Have a great day!


Comments

  1. Wow....I LOVE this!!! Beautiful!!! Looks like something out of Hubble's images!!! One of my favorite go to places for inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really cool, Annette! The look you achieved with all those wonderful techniques really does make it seem that you are peering into the galaxy! Wonderful star stencil!!! I love your lightening bugs too. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Great techniques! Now where did you get that stamp?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette...your art journal pages are awesome! I love crackle paste and I love what y

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops...hit "send" by mistake...you have done with the crackle paste on these pages! The embossed stars look way cool against the bright background you created with sprays, inks and stains. I also love the "fireflies". The white pearl paint makes a great effect on the bees to give them a firefly look. Beautiful job, pictures and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful!!!! Thank you for showing the steps !!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the deets on how to get the look. Great presentation, I think i will give this a try... nice inspirational piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow Annette, I love this!! The colours are fabulous and really make the crackled stars look beautiful - and those fireflies are absolutely adorable, great improvisation! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Annette these journal pages are beautiful, the colours are so vibrant and your crackle paste stars really "pop". X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com